On SimpleCV's site, there is "SimpleCV Superpack" that includes everything to use SimpleCV, but I wanted to use my existing Python 64-bit installation and don't want to manage another copy of Python install.
When I tried to install SimpleCV after checking out from its Git repository, of course it didn't work -- I have to install many dependent python modules. This is a bit too much -- I do not want to spend my time installing all the dependent modules, which requires sometimes C/C++ compilation. Here is a simple tip/trick to avoid the all the hassle:
- Make sure you already installed OpenCV and configured properly.
- Install OpenCV module for Windows 64bit from this site, http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#opencv -- it shows what modules are dependent and all the dependent pre-compiled modules are available on the same site. And install PILLOWS module from the site.
- Make sure your Python for OpenCV works.
- Check out SimpleCV from its Git repository (https://github.com/sightmachine/SimpleCV)
- Modify "setup.py" -- remove "PIL" requirement from "requires=" line in that file. Make sure you have installed "Pillows" module from step #2. Pillows module replaces PIL module.
- Run setup.