"Web3", although it's still early, but the concept and the technology are solid and good to experiment now. It's still too complex for non techie folks, or would anyone really care. It's very interesting how all these different ideas, concepts and technologies have come together, built, and (will be) used.
- Web 1.0 - nobody called it "1.0" back then. It was the dawn of the internet for the general public. People and companies started to build web sites.
- Web 2.0 - centralized internet. Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc – they own people's data, know about the people more than themselves.
- Web3 - decentralize data and internet.
There are many hypes and interesting technologies for web3, but these are quite interesting:
- IPFS (InterPlanetary File System) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InterPlanetary_File_System
- DAO (Decentralized Autonomous Organization) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decentralized_autonomous_organization
I don't feel too strongly about cryptocurrency or NFT, but with metaverse, and for decentralized data/internet, they seem to be good tools and are needed.
I have been thinking about the idea of decentralized data, network, and organization for a while, so I was very excited when I found out about IPFS and DAO. They are not new concepts nor the first attempt to realize the ideas, but this time, it looks pretty good.
I am pretty sure IPFS, DAO, NFT, and multiverse…all these will look and work very differently in 10 years. Maybe it will be called something else, and decentralization will be there for sure. It just needed to be more robust and easier to understand and use.