Some interesting pages from this site:
- Class room sitting habits
- Girl Scout cookie pie chart
- True size of Africa
- 17 ways to visualize the Twitter universe
- Rise of the data scientist
- What visualization tool/software should you use? - Getting started
- Dreaming in numbers
- 40 essential tools and resources to visualize data
Adding my two cents here:
- GnuPlot, Python with Scipy/Numpy, PHP -- they are all very good tools for creating charts.
- Search for existing tools first, rather than bang your head on the ground and write from scratch.