Internet is used in this way:
User → device (ipad, computer) → [home router] → Internet
DNS is like a yellow book, when user goes to "www.google.com", DNS responses with it's address ("IP"), and then it uses the IP to get to the destination.
Parental control can be done in each layer:
- User (by parents)
Parental Control at User LevelEducating children and set usage limit is the most important.
Set rules on:
- Time limit - duration of use and time of the day.
- Agree on where in the house the devices will be used.
- Talk about content types - what's inappropriate, and some sites may be harmful for them and also might damage the device (e.g. virus).
Parental Control with DNSBlocking is done at DNS, it simply denies to give the address for inappropriate sites. Set devices to use OpenDNS to block inappropriate sites.
Two methods to change it:
- On each device
- On home router
A couple of ways to use OpenDNS:
- Use predefined settings:
Just sent your devices' DNS to these without any registration. It has pre-configured family setting (for "Family Shield"):
Register with OpenDNS, update your IP with them, and it will block with customization -- custom category, custom blacklist (unfortunately, limited to 25 entries).
Benefits of using custom OpenDNS:
- Custom message on blocked sites
- Customize categories to block
- Customized black/white lists (up to only 25 though)
- Register - https://signup.opendns.com/homefree/
- Update your dynamic IP with OpenDNS, one of these methods:
- via web page, manually
For Windows and Mac, just search for "ddclient" and will find the applications. Examples (not tried):
- Windows https://github.com/knoxg/ddclient-nsis
- Set DNS to 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206 (different from FamilyShield DNS)
- Go to https://www.dnsomatic.com and use your OpenDNS ID/PW. And set up things there.
- Set up ddclient, or wget/curl.
curl or wget:
curl --user "username:password" "https://@updates.dnsomatic.com/nic/update?hostname=hostname"
wget --user "username" --password="password" "https://@updates.dnsomatic.com/nic/update?hostname=hostname"
Advantages of using ddclient:
- It supports other dynamic IP DNS services. (Now with dnsomatic.com service, you can also do that with dnsomatic settings.)
- ddclient caches IP address it updated previously and if it hasn't been changed, it won't update again.